In 1859, Japan ended its national policy of isolation and opened the port of Yokohama to international trade with the United States, the Netherlands, Russia, England, and France. The downtown area developed with the Foreign Settlement to create the cityscape we see today.
A severe conflagration in 1866 burned down much of the city center of Yokohama and led to the maintenance of the settlements and roads; this is the beginning of Bashamichi. Bashamichi would serve as the main road for people and goods, connecting the port of Yokohama to the city of Yokohama at that time. It also flourished as a business district where finance and insurance companies were concentrated.
The Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923 and the Pacific War of 1941 to 1945 devastated the region. After the war, facilities for the occupation forces were located in the region.
In 1952, the requisition order began to be lifted in the Bashamichi area, leading to the foundation of the Bashamichi Shopping Avenue Cooperative Association in 1954. With the development of transportation systems, such as railways and buses, the shopping avenue was revitalized.
During the high economic growth period, the Kanagawa Prefectural Museum of Cultural History opened in Bashamichi. The city further strove towards urban development in terms of not only commerce but also culture and history.
Being in a popular location close to the significant tourist sites of Yokohama, Minatomirai and Chinatown, the cultural, commercial, and tourism sectors are still growing and developing today in 2021.